We don’t mind admitting we’re crazyyyy about smoking meat.
We cook from the heart here at Fry’s American BBQ and use only authentic American meat smoking techniques.
Want perfect glaze, bold aromas, sticky, fall-off-the-bone ribs? You’re in the right place, partner. Listen up, this ain’t our first rodeo. Smoking meat is our thang!
From Texas to Eastbourne via Memphis and Kansas. Everyone has their own method of cooking barbecue ribs. At Fry’s ours is smoking out of this world ribs to perfection.
A half or full rack of succulent pork belly ribs smoked in our special spice rub. Slathered in the Fry’s Signature Sauce of your choice.
And our creamy mac and cheese, seasoned fries and Heinz baked beans are a glorious partner in crime for these sticky chaps.
If you want to know more about all things rib for barbecuing this Summer, then dear friend, read on. Can we get a hell yeah?! Let’s do this. Fist-bump.
The best place to start is at the beginning – the type of ribs on offer. We at Fry’s use belly ribs but there are many options to deliver the ultimate taste sensation.
- Baby Back Ribs – loin or back. Lean, very meaty and contain little cartilage.
- Spareribs – near the belly. Quite fatty but rich and full of flavour.
- St. Louis Style Ribs – rib cage. Like spareribs but trimmed. Fatty, full of flavour. Prep and technique make them special.
- Rib tips – cut from the lower end of spareribs. Often served chopped into chunks.
- Country style ribs – not really ribs, more like chops. They come from the front end of baby back ribs near the shoulder.
Marinades and rubs
Boiling, roasting, smoking (Yes – choose this!) no matter how you cook your ribs, it has to be slow to guarantee tenderness. And of course, choosing the right seasoning is essential.
Want a chewy, blackened crust? You can’t achieve good rib without prep, rub – or marinade.
Marinating our meat is a serious business. We make a special, luxurious dry rub, that adds layers and layers of flavour. An incredible combo of salt, sugar, pepper, garlic, onion and our unique spice and herb seasoning.
Our dedicated smoking team smoke ribs low and slow for around 6 hours, using hickory wood to infuse our ribs and deliver succulent, juicy and intensely flavoured meat.
Start low and slow and devour fast, that’s the mantra at Fry’s American BBQ.
Next up. Dry rub or marinade?
A marinade is usually wet. The best way to keep meat moist and flavoursome is to plunge it into a marinade and store in the fridge for safekeeping. Don’t score the meat or the juices will escape. And salt is a no-no as it will dry the meat up like the Mojave Desert. Always pat marinated meat dry first before throwing on a BBQ.
3 reasons to marinate:
- Enhances the flavour
- Tenderises the meat
- Short-term meat preservation
Types of marinade:
Acidic – wine, vinegar or citrus-based. The acid frees up the bonds between proteins in the meat.
Enzyme – fruits like pineapple or kiwi break down muscle fibre. Natural meat juices flow out.
Dairy – calcium activates enzymes in the meat, breaking down protein in it.
This is where we at Fry’s excel! Trust us on this one. Dry rubs use salt to break down proteins and draw other flavours in. The secret is to oil up meat first then massage the dry rub lovingly into the surface. The rub puts the meat in the spotlight – creating a crunchy, chewy crust with rich, sumptuous flavours.
Easy Sticky Rib Recipe
- 500g carton passata
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1kg small, lean pork ribs
- 3 tbsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or gas mark 6.
- In a large bowl, mix the passata, garlic, soy sauce, honey and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add the pork ribs to the bowl and coat evenly. Put the ribs and sauce into a large, shallow roasting tin. Cover with foil and bake for 35 mins.
- Remove foil from tray and bake the ribs for 45-60 mins more. Turn them a couple of times, until sticky and almost all the sauce has disappeared.
- To make in advance, cook or half-cook the ribs the night before and keep in the fridge until needed.
Put fire in your belly?
Why not bite into a half or full rack of Fry’s American BBQ ribs? Revel in that scrumptious sticky mess you create within seconds, we’ll provide the napkins!
Our ribs have wagon loads of flavour and we urge you to smother them in a choice of FREE sauces. Choose from Maple, Cayenne, Cider & Paprika BBQ.
Blaze a trail to our restaurant today for your portion of smokin’ ribs and hearty, wholesome sides. Or check out our menu online, get social on Instagram or come in store to sample the delights TODAY!
Fry’s America BBQ – Bringing the taste of USA BBQ to the UK.